Two small children, 10 mons & 3 yrs were rescued from a burning apt by a homeless man who jumped a locked gate, then pulled a dead-bolt locked security door open to safety. Both kids will be okay. The man is a TRUE HERO. pic.twitter.com/jImwAklmcB
Angulo then saw the tiny leg of an infant and pulled the other child to safety as well.
"(I) went to the door and saw the babies so I jumped the fence,” Angulo told KSNV. “I wrapped up the babies and pulled them out. I knew I had to get them out."
RIGHT PLACE / RIGHT TIME: Anival Angelo, 36, currently homeless in Las Vegas saw smoke coming from the front door of an apartment-heard 2 kids crying. With bare hands pull LOCKED security door open and brought both kids out from the inferno inside. Kids R OK PIO1 pic.twitter.com/7MvXeqRfEU
Food was cooking on a stove at the children’s grandfather’s apartment when grease caught fire around 11:30 a.m., according to Las Vegas Fire Rescue.
The children were taken to the hospital where they were treated for smoke inhalation.
The grandfather was in another part of the house when the fire started and was separated from the children. He got out of the apartment through a window.
The fire damaged the kitchen, living room and left severe smoke damage throughout the unit, officials said.
The American Red Cross is helping the family displaced by the fire, according to KVVU.
UPDATE: TOC: 11:33AM. 2616 E Mesquite Ave fire in 1 unit of 1-sto 4-plea, fire OUT, 2 children 10mos, 3 yrs taken to Hosp for smoke inhalation- will be okay, cooking fire - accidental, $50K dmg @SNVredcross 3A/1C PIO1 pic.twitter.com/UOs0GdHUGL